Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Wednesday, April 15th, 2015

Didn't get to the river today, instead I went back to the lake. The most interesting thing I saw today was probably a pair of Cardinals doing some sort of courtship dance.






That's really what I love about this time of year, the chance to see some behaviors that you usually wouldn't. Down at the beach I also saw an American goldfinch, which was another colorful surprise.



Besides the finch there was a small group of Buffelhead ducks and one Mallard diving around the end of the northern pier. I'm glad the Mallard was there because he really illustrated for me just how tiny these Buffelheads are.

Buffelhead Ducks
Buffelhead Ducks
Male Mallard

The nature preserve was a bit quieter, mostly gulls and a couple Mergansers. I also saw some odd little nest I hadn't noticed before. I'm unsure what built it, and it looks like it isn't currently being used.



On the way home I saw another House Finch and was able to get some photos, so that was a nice follow-up to yesterday.



I know I keep saying it, but I really want to stop going to the lake shore. I see new things each day, but I could really use a change of scenery.



No comments:

Post a Comment