Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Tuesday, April 14th, 2015

Things were pretty quiet down by the lake this morning. I'm definitely going to make a point of hiking along the river tomorrow, if only to change things up a bit.

I did see my first butterfly of spring, an Eastern Comma that was flying around the beach at the preserve.

Eastern Comma

It actually made me remember how interested I was in starting an entomology collection. We'll see, taking photos may turn out to be just as satisfying. Over the lake a saw a small group of what I believe were Blue-winged Teals as well as some Mallards and Canadian Geese.

Blue-winged Teals
More Teals
Female Mallard
Canadian Geese

On the way back to my apartment I also saw some Brown-headed Cowbirds, who I don't believe I've ever positively identified before. As parasitic birds (the only in North America) their mode of living is a bit cruel, but I nevertheless find them pretty fascinating.

Male Cowbird

Female Cowbird

In any event I'm looking forward to adding insects to the list of things I obsessively photograph and identify.

Robin about to take off

Afternoon Update: Had a nice appointment with Dr. Gielow. In a moment of serendipity he spotted a male House Finch out the window, which is yet another bird I have yet to see an positively identify, so that was a nice surprise. I love the red heads. It's funny how even though they are apparently quite common, seeing one for what felt like the first time makes it seem so exotic and special. Wish I could have gotten a picture, but hopefully I'll see one again on a hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment