Sunday, April 12, 2015

Sunday, April 12th, 2015

I set out at 7:45 this morning and went to Atwater Beach. There was a huge flock of Red-breasted Mergansers out of the lake. There was a lot squabbling and they were also doing this interesting head-dip, sometimes in-sync with each other.






In addition to the Mergansers the Red-winged blackbirds were also back out in force. I got one really nice shot of one calling and some nice close-ups of another.




After Atwater I walked over to the nature preserve. There wasn't quite as much happening there today, I saw more Yellow-bellies and wood thrushes, as well as a pair of Ruby-crowned Kinglets and a Cardinal.

Sapsucker
Wood Thrush
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Male Cardinal

I think that since I've been going to the Nature Preserve for a week I'm going to switch it up and start hiking along the river next week. Hopefully it will result in seeing a new set of wildlife.


Afternoon Update: Went for a wonderful walk along the lakeshore downtown with Ryan and Paige. It was really great to see both of them. While we were down there I saw a small group of Greater Scaups, which was a nice surprise. I love the blue bills.

Male
Female

Today's photo:

How flattering

No comments:

Post a Comment